WATERLOO BUILDING DEPARTMENT
The Waterloo Building Department administers all matters related to commercial and residential construction as well as the enforcement of building codes through education, plan review, permitting and inspections. The Waterloo Building Department encourages you to contact us when considering a building project. Residents are reminded that if they are hiring a contractor to do work, that their contractor should be taking out the required permits.
The Waterloo Building Department will take inspection requests for the following permitted projects and they will be conducted on a case-by-case basis.
- Residential window replacement.
- Residential electrical service release inspections.
- Residential Remodels: bathroom, kitchen, basements, etc.
- Any project on the interior of residential homes, condominiums and apartments. This includes combo-inspect rough-in & framing inspections, combo-inspect final inspections and special inspections.
The Waterloo Building Department will accept inspection requests for the following permitted projects as usual and will be conducted with caution:
- New Residential Builds including mechanicals
- Residential Repairs such as siding, roofing, decks, fences, etc.
- Residential gas inspections as necessary for heat, hot water and safety of new installations. This includes gas water heaters, gas furnaces, permanent gas appliances.
- New Commercial Builds including mechanicals
- Commercial Remodels including mechanicals
- Commercial Repairs such as siding, roofing, etc.
FOUNDATION DRAIN DISCONNECTS
City of Waterloo ordinance regarding foundation drain disconnect. pdf
City of Waterloo ordinance regarding foundation drain disconnect. Weblink
Map of Service Area 15 and 16 Foundation Drain Disconnect.
The Waterloo Building Inspection Department offers Residential Contractor Exams for those who want to become a licensed residential contractor with the City of Waterloo.
Exams will be given for one week each month during business hours. Two applicants per day will be scheduled. Exam time is 8:00 am on your designated day. The exam will be given at the Building Department located on the second floor of City Hall.
Select a day of the week that best suits your schedule on the application which can be accessed by clicking the link below. Applications along with the $50 registration fee must be received one week prior to your exam date.
Residential Contractor Procedure (pdf)
Residential Contractor Exam Application (pdf)
General Contractor Procedure (pdf)
Plumbing Contractor Registration (pdf)
BHC Electrical Contractor Registration (pdf)
Electrical Contractor Registration (pdf)
HVAC Contactor Registration (pdf)
Waterloo Building Department
715 Mulberry Street, 2nd Floor
Waterloo, Iowa 50703
Greg Ahlhelm, Building Official/Commercial Plans Examiner
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Hours: 7:30am - 4:30pm
Jennifer Sparks, Permit Writer/Residential Plans Examiner
Email: email@example.com Hours: 7:30am - 4:30pm
FOR REQUIRED INSPECTIONS, PLEASE SCHEDULE DIRECTLY WITH THE RESPECTIVE INSPECTOR:
Bob Ball, Building Inspector - Commercial, New Dwellings
Bob Stanley - Black Hawk County Combination
Brian Baker - HVAC
Bob Osgood - Plumbing
Tim Moyer - Electrical
Scott Strader - Residential City Combination
Brian Wirtz – Residential Repairs, Fats Oils Grease (FOG), Rental Safety Inspector
Jeff Siebel - Commercial Safety Inspector
Barry Stratton - Rental Safety Inspector