How can I legally set off fireworks in Waterloo?
Section 4 of the City of Waterloo Code of Ordinance:
Location of the Use and Explosion of Fireworks: The City Council of the City of Waterloo hereby affirms state law allowing the use and explosion of consumer fireworks as defined by §727.2(4)(c), which restricts the use and explosion of fireworks to the user’s real property or on the real property of a person who has consented to the use of consumer fireworks and novelties on that property.
How can I legally sell fireworks in Waterloo?
Licenses are issued by the State Fire Marshal’s Office to persons to sell consumer fireworks.
Retail License and Fees (all fees paid to the state)
- A retailer selling from a permanent building with 50% or more floor space dedicated to display or sale of first class consumer fireworks - $1,000.
- A retailer in a temporary structure with 50% or more floor space dedicated to display or sale of first class consumer fireworks - $500.
- A Retailer with less than 50% floor space dedicated to display or sale of first class consumer fireworks - $400.
- Community group that offers for sale, exposes for sale, or sells first class consumer fireworks - $400. Note, this section
- Retailer or community group selling second class fireworks but not first class fireworks-$100.
Items 1-4 can sell both first and second-class fireworks but item 5 can only sell second class fireworks. Products cannot be sold to an individual under the age of eighteen. Questions about the state license process and inspections can be directed to the State Fire Marshal. Their number is 515-725-6145.
- The State Fire Marshal requires $1 million per occurrence and $2 million aggregate.
- Permanent Buildings: June 1 to July 8 and December 10 to January 3rd.
- Temporary Structure: June 13 to July 8
Consumer Use Dates and Times Approved by Council
- Fireworks usage is banned in the city of Waterloo.
Process to Sell Fireworks in Waterloo
Step 1—Planning and Zoning. Planning and Zoning must first approve the site location. They will need to contact information, the address of the location sales will take place and the dimensions of the temporary structure and/or trailer fireworks will be sold/stored in, and a site plan or drawing. Planning and Zoning will notify Code Enforcement, City Clerk’s Office, and Fire Department when applications are approved. Planning and Zoning can be reached by calling 319-291-4366.
Step 2—State Fire Marshal. Once approval is given from Planning and Zoning on the site location the vendor can apply for a license with the State Fire Marshal. State Fire Marshal will conduct site inspections and has final determination of whether or not a license for a location can be issued.
Permanent Businesses. Those selling fireworks out of permanent, established business from a permanent structure can begin selling immediately once the State Fire Marshal issues a license.
Transient Merchants. Those selling fireworks on a temporary basis from a permanent or temporary structure must obtain a Transient Merchant License from the City Clerk’s Office. Transient Merchant Licenses will not be issued until the City Clerk’s Office has received a copy of the firework sales license issued by the State Fire Marshal and a certificate of liability insurance naming the City of Waterloo as additional insured. The application for a Transient Merchant can be obtained once Planning and Zoning has approved the site location. The fee for Transient Merchants is $45/day of sale. Applicants must complete a background check and be bonded with the Iowa Secretary of State. Iowa Secretary of State bond applications are available on the Iowa Secretary of State website. https://sos.iowa.gov/business/pdf/tns_merch.pdf. The number for the City Clerk’s Office is 319-291-4323.
- Questions about the state license process and inspections can be directed to the State Fire Marshal. Their number is 515-725-6145.