June 22, 2017, Project Update No. 3
Friday June 23, 2017 – Thursday June 29, 2017
- The 4th Street bridge roadway will remain closed to vehicle traffic during paintingoperations and reopened as work allows.
- The pedestrian structure will remain closed.
- Scheduled work for this week includes continued removal and patching ofdeteriorated concrete on exterior rail surfaces, sand blasting the first section of thecanopy, recording areas requiring steel patch repair, and applying a primer paint coat.
- The contractor plans to work six days per week to keep the project on schedule.
- The steel canopy sandblasting, repair, and repainting will occur in sections across
- Upcoming work will include additional patching, sandblasting, steel canopy repair,
- Painting work is scheduled to be completed at the end of September. Window
installation work will follow.
4th Street Bridge Closures
- Improvements are underway to the 4th Street pedestrian walkway. The City of Waterloo is working to minimize the impact of construction on businesses and those driving through downtown.
- Beginning this Friday, the 4th Street bridge will be closed to all traffic. Closures will occur throughout the project to accommodate necessary construction equipment and workers. The bridge will be open to traffic during My Waterloo Days and Iowa Irish Fest.
- Mayor Hart is working with City staff, Main Street Waterloo, engineers and contractors to accommodate as much vehicular traffic as possible while keeping the project on pace for completion. Hart asks drivers and businesses to be patient during the process and reminds us that every day without a closure is a day without progress on the much needed project.
- “Thanks to Mayor’s leadership, accommodations were made to lessen the impact on business as much as possible,” says Tavis Hall, Executive Director, Main Street Waterloo. “We want to make sure those impacted the most have as much notice as possible and keep the bridge open whenever possible.”
WORK WILL INCLUDE
- Painting the metal structure.
- Replacement of canopy windows.
- Estimated reopen date is end of September for vehicular traffic on 4th Street bridge.
- Estimated reopen date is end of October for pedestrian usage of 4th Street pedestrian walkway.
- 4th Street vehicular traffic bridge will also be open for the Iowa Irish Fest, August 4-6.
A weekly project update will be distributed by e-mail to businesses and organizations impacted in the downtown area to inform about contractor’s progress and weekend closures when necessary. Those wishing to be added to the distribution list should contact Main Street Waterloo by calling (319) 291-2038.
Questions regarding 4th Street bridge closures may be directed to the City of Waterloo Engineering Department (319)291-4312, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Updates will be posted on the City’s website www.cityofwaterlooiowa.com, and through social media.