University Avenue Reconstruction Project
|4th Street Bridge Closures
October 13, 2017, Project Update No. 19
FY 2017 4th STREET BRIDGE CANOPY REPAIRS, Contract No. 910
Friday, October 13 – Thursday, October 19, 2017
- The 4th Street bridge roadway will remain open to vehicular traffic.
- The pedestrian bridge will remain closed while the contractor continues work on the canopy structure. Work will include the following:
- Continued installation of window retainer frames.
- Continued installation of windows.
- Preparation work for timber runner installation.
- Weekend work is not anticipated.
- The pedestrian bridge will remain closed while work continues. The roadway will remain open to vehicular traffic. Spot closures may be needed during the window installation process but none are scheduled at this time.
- The roadway will be open on Saturday, October 21, 2017 for the Sullivan Brothers 5K/10K event. The pedestrian bridge will remain closed.
- The pedestrian bridge will be temporarily re-opened during the day for the downtown trick-or treat event on Saturday, October 28, 2017.
- The timber runner artwork installation is estimated to occur in 3-4 weeks after other runners are installed.
- Overall project completion is anticipated to be in mid to late November.
A weekly project update will be distributed by e-mail to businesses and organizations impacted in the downtown area to inform about contractor’s progress and weekend closures when necessary. Those wishing to be added to the distribution list should contact Main Street Waterloo by calling (319) 291-2038.
Questions regarding 4th Street bridge closures may be directed to the City of Waterloo Engineering Department (319)291-4312, or by email to email@example.com. Updates will be posted on the City’s website www.cityofwaterlooiowa.com, and through social media.
| FY 2016 STREET RECONSTRUCTION PROGRAM, Contract 898
||Tentative Start Date
|FY 2017 STREET RECONSTRUCTION PROGRAM, Contract 921
||Tentative Start Date
||West 4th St.
||6th St., W.
||9 St., W
||mid Hy-vee Driveway
||1656 Wakonda Drive
||1601 Wakonda Drive
||1547 Wakonda Drive
||4th Street W.
||42 Franklin Street
||90 Franklin Street
|East 4th Street Rail Road Crossing and Nevada Strteet Railroad Crossings
|The East 4th Street Railroad Crossing, near Dane Street, will be closed for repairs.
The Nevada Street Railroad Crossing, near Dubuque Road, is closed for repairs.
US 63 (MULLAN AVENUE) BETWEEN JEFFERSON STREET AND FRANKLIN STREET
| The second stage of a two-year reconstruction project on U.S. 63 in Waterloo, which affects traffic patterns, pedestrian usage, and business and residential access has begun.
- Southbound US 63 detour switched from Jefferson Street to Commercial Street. At the intersection of @ 1st street and Commercial street, southbound US 63 traffic will be drtoured westerly and southerly on West Commercial Street to the US 218/US 63 interchange near Westfield Avenue. The detour will be in effect until mid-November.
- The intersection of Franklin St. at Mullan Ave. will be closed. Southbound Highway 63 traffic will be detoured to W. 1"Street. Franklin Street traffic will be detoured at W. 3"St. to Lafayette St. to Fariview Ave. to Park Rd. to Broadway St. Northbound Hwy 63 traffic wanting to go westbound on Franklin St. will be detoured at Conger St. to Broadway St.
- Mulian Avenue remains closed from Franklin Street to Jefferson Street.
- E. 1 Street from Almond Street to Jefferson Street remains head-to-head traffic.
- Left turns are prohibited from Logan Avenue and Almond Street on to Highway 63.
The closest Americans with Disability Act compliant pedestrian Crossing is on Park Avenue, which is three blocks east of the project site, will remain open and will be the only ADA-accessible pedestrian river crossing open within a five-block area.
- Pedestrians can use the existing river crossing at First Street (northbound U.S. 63) but
pedestrians must utilize a flight of steps to access.
- The city of Waterloo currently has the Fourth Street bridge pedestrian crossing under repair.
- Follow sidewalk detour for North Riverfront Trail closure - 3rd Street to Franklin Street to Oak Avenue.
The lowa DOT reminds motorists to drive with caution, obey the posted Speed limit and other signs in the work area, and be aware that traffic fines for moving violations are at least double in Work Zones. As in all work zones, drivers should stay alert, allow ample Space between vehicles, and Wear seat belts.
|US 63 CLOSURE BETWEEN DANE STREET AND NEWELL STREET
| On Monday, September 11th, weather permitting, Highway 63 (northbound and Southbound) will be closed between Conger/Newell Streets and Dane Street. Motorists will be detoured around the construction zone using Airline Highway, Airport Blvd and U.S. Highway 218. Closure is expected to be in place for one week.
|NOTE TO PROPERTY OWNERS: 2017 SIDEWALK REPAIR PROGRAM - ZONE 7
| There is currently no city contract to repair sidewalks. The only contractor that will be employed by the City to repair marked sidewalks will be the assessment contractor who will not begin work until September 2017. If you have questions regarding the program or contractors, please call the Engineering Department: (319) 291-4312
Download the October 13, 2017 News Release
Map and Index
City MapCity Map
Waterloo Street Index
Web Map does not work with Internet Explorer 8. If you are having trouble viewing the map, please download the newest version of Internet Explorer
View Larger Map
Eric Thorson, P.E., City Engineer
715 Mulberry St.
Waterloo, Iowa 50703
Phone: (319) 291-4312
Fax: (319) 291-4262
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm